When it was time to return the dog, OP's mom started telling lies that the dog has always been hers
Legally, the dog is OP's, however, she's afraid taking her dog back by forced will damage her relationship with her mom
But OP can't let go of her dog that easily either
OP's situation is very complicated because on one hand, she might lose the dog that helps her so much and on the other, she might permanently damage her relationship with her mom. It's not an easy choice but OP also has to make it.
The fact is, it's OP's dog from the very beginning. And she lent it to her mom out of the goodness of her heart.
And just because it's her daughter, OP's mom doesn't have any right to just take the pup as she pleases. Many people in the comments section also agree.
Here are the best comments.
1. The mom could get a dog of her own if she really wanted one
2. If she really wanted a pet, she should have just said so rather than damager her daughter's reputation
3. She doesn't need to steal anyone else's dog to get one of her own
4. It's time for OP to assert her legal rights to that dog
5. Their relationship is damaged either way so it's better for OP to just get the dog back
6. That dog is OP's dog and no one else's
7. She leaves OP no choice but to go the legal way
8. OP's mom has crossed the line by telling lies just to get the dog
9. OP's mom doesn't need the dog, she needs therapy
10. That dog deserves to be home
11. Try one more path of generosity and then if nothing comes out of it, take the legal route
12. That's not how a loving mom acts
If the mom wanted a pet of her own to keep her company, she could have gotten her own. If she didn't want to spend thousands of dollars, she could've gone to the shelter where she could've gotten a sweet pup for so much less.
OP deserves to get her dog back. It's rightfully hers, and nothing her mom will say will reverse that.
Hopefully, OP gets to take her dog home.