I went to play soccer
The owner and the dog were not paying attention
I'm not giving my number to a stranger
The comments section was in a ruckus as some supported the OP, some were against him and the rest couldn't decide who was wrong or right. Read some of the comments for yourself below.
1. You should at least pay something
2. She has an assumption of risk
3. I don't take my dog to parks anymore
4. Calculating comparative negligence or assumption of risk
5. "Don't drive close to the road"
6. The dog owner is responsible for her dog
7. What if your ball had damaged a parked car?
8. You even apologized and offered to help
9. That is what dog parks are for
10. She had the right to be there
11. You were at the park and people play at parks
12. This Redditor is kind of half and half on this
13. An info was asked of and the OP gave a reply
14. It is not the a**hole for this Redditor
15. I would not expect anyone to pay
16. Coming from a dog owner who walks their dog on different fields
17. The dog is an actual living being
18. Why weren't you paying attention to them?
19. You didn't set out to hit a dog
20. You weren't being irresponsible playing soccer
While it is difficult for each party in an accident situation to accept being at fault, at some point, someone or both parties ultimately have to accept the responsibilities of repairs. Minor expenses can be overlooked, but surely big expenses like vet bills cannot be overlooked so easily.
We know you have your own reactions to this matter. Let us know what your opinions are in the comments section below.